In this video, I walk you through the entire step-by-step process for creating your first Google Ads Campaign from start to finish. This is the most updated and recent guide, so you shouldn’t find anything too different on your own end when following me.
I would recommend you follow along with me as I’ll be providing you with some detailed and thorough tips along the way. So let’s get started!
(1) First, you have to obviously create your Google Ads account.
So log in here: https://ads.google.com/
And follow the steps needed to create an account. If you already have a gmail account, you won’t have to do much more, but if you don’t, just create a gmail account for Google Ad purposes and you should be well on your way.
(2) After you create the account, it’s time to actually use it! The first page of your screen might now ask you to select your campaign objective, and all that jazz. We can skip this part entirely, go down to the bottom and click on “switch to expert mode” because hopefully by the end of this video, you will become an expert.
From here, select “website traffic” as your goal, “search” as your campaign type, enter your website URL, and click “next”!
(3) This is where you create the “campaign” settings. There are lots of settings here and you shouldn’t feel overwhelmed because some of them aren’t required at all. But I will go through a few of these that are important.
First, enter your campaign name. If your budget is constrained and you don’t feel like experimenting, uncheckmark the display and Google search partner networks – we want to only promote on google.com.
Enter your location (and make sure to select people that are IN your location only), budget, and bid. There is no minimum or maximum budget amount, so enter whatever you feel most comfortable with. For the bid, I’d recommend going with manual CPC for now and as you start getting conversions you can easily switch that over to target CPA.
Leave the other options as they are for now, such as the extensions or dynamic search ads – I cover that in my Google ads playlist linked at the top of this description, and these aren’t necessary to create our first campaign.
Once you do all that, click “next” and it’s time for the keyword phase!
(4) You can enter some basic keywords here because we will need to do some more keyword research anyway. So just enter some basic keywords for now and click “next”.
(5) This is where you create your ad. I like to split test 3-5 ad variations at a time, split testing one thing at a time, such as headline 1 or 2 and in some cases the description.
As a rule of thumb, I like to have my keyword in headline 1, and a call-to-action in headline 2 to prompt users to take the action you want them to. If you don’t tell your visitors what to do, they won’t! Once you do that, click “next”.
(6) OK, we have to do 2 more things now that our campaign is up and running – keyword research and split testing ads.
Let’s start with the keyword research.
There are many different tools you can use, but we are going to stick with the good ol’ Google keyword planner. The idea here is to gather keyword ideas for different themes of your product.
You want to have an ad group for the bottom of the funnel, another ad group for middle of the funnel, and one ad group for top of the funnel. You can start here and just add more over time.
So select keywords with the same theme, group them together, and add them to the corresponding ad groups.
(7) Now that you created a few other different ad groups, we can go in and duplicate our ads and match the message in the ad to the keyword ad groups.
So if our ad group is for people searching for “ted’s woodworking” for example, our headline 1 for that ad group would start with something like “Ted’s Woodworking™ Guides”.
For a different ad group with a different keyword theme, you would change that headline.
My Unbounce playlist so you can find every important piece you need: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6JljKqlwFc&list=PLS46f4aLJ2hOdr6ZRw-9cnSXVWfa0r86i
If you want to try out Unbounce yourself for free for 14 days and then get 20% off for the next 3 months after the 1-month free trial, sign up using my link:
Link to my Google AdWords playlist:
And if you need help with a specific issue and want me to personally take a look at your setup, I can help! Check out the ‘My Services’ section of my blog: https://ivanmana.com/my-services/
Like my Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/onlinemarketingessentials
Also be sure to check out my YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/onlinemarketingessentials